The mission of the library is to support lifelong learning of all community members by providing an institution where individuals may be assisted and encouraged in their informational, educational, cultural, and recreational pursuits.
This assistance will be provided with a collection of materials in a variety of appropriate formats and interlibrary cooperation.
On January 18, 1958, the Rebecca M. Arthurs Memorial Library opened its doors to the public. It housed 1,400 books and gained 278 members during its first month of operation.
The library opened in the former home of Sam and Rebecca M. Arthurs. Mrs. Arthurs donated the property to be designated as a library with the hopes of providing the community with a place for expanding knowledge.
--This image was an 8" x 10" glass plate negative taken in the 1920s by Fred Knapp. It was later converted into a contact print by David Taylor.
As the library collection and membership grew, it relocated to its current location--but, not without renovation.
The former Hughes Food Market building welcomed the library's 13,500 item collection on June 16, 1976. Twenty-four years later, the community was invited to join in an expansion, which included a new study area, reading area, and children's room.
Today, the staff at Rebecca M. Arthurs Memorial Library offers its patrons over 38,000 items and a variety of services, including books, movies, computer services and internet, and programs for all ages.
The areas that this library serves includes:
Brookville Borough - Barnett Township - Eldred Township
Heath Township - Knox Township - Pine Creek Township
Rose Township - Union Township - Warsaw Township
We welcome travelers to use our internet and wi-fi services as well as longer-term visitors to use our circulating materials. We accept all PA Access library cards.